Routing rules in Outpost are a simple, yet powerful, set of email filters that can help automate your mailboxes. Rules can be used to add or remove tags, reply with a template, assign messages to users, and much more.
In this article:
- Creating a routing rule in Outpost
- Reordering routing rules
- Deleting rules, WHEN conditions, and THEN actions
All rules in Outpost are composed of two parts: WHEN and THEN. WHEN will look through all incoming messages for a condition or conditions, such as a sender, a tag, or an attachment. Once a message has been identified as meeting a condition in the WHEN section it proceeds to the THEN section to apply an action or actions.
Note: Routing rules are applied to incoming messages only. Mail that has been received prior to the creation of a routing rule will not be affected by the rule.
Creating a routing rule in Outpost
- Click on the Settings gear in the upper right corner of the Outpost window:
- In the sidebar of the Settings page, click Rules:
On the Rules page, click the [+] sign to create a new rule:
- First give the rule a descriptive name, then select what the rule checks incoming messages for in the WHEN section.
- If you would like to set another condition in the WHEN section of the rule then select Add another condition. Conditions are applied in the order that they are entered on the WHEN list, from top to bottom. Each rule can search through incoming messages that contain either at least one of the conditions listed or all of the conditions listed.
- Select which actions are to be taken by the rule in the THEN section. Up to 20 actions can be programmed per rule. Actions are executed in the order that they appear on the list, from top to bottom.
- Select Don't process any rules after this one is applied to prevent further rules on your rule list from acting on incoming emails.
Note: Up to 50 rules may be created per Outpost account. Each rule can have up to 20 WHEN conditions and 20 THEN actions. Rules are executed in the order that they appear on the Rules list, from top to bottom. Rules may be reordered at any time by dragging the rule up or down in the rule list.
Reordering routing rules
- Rule execution order can be changed by dragging the rule order icon to the desired location in the rule list.
- Rules are applied to incoming messages in the order in which they appear in the rules list, from top to bottom.
- Select Don't process any rules after this one is applied to prevent further rules on the rule list from acting on an incoming message.
- Click on the X to remove WHEN conditions or THEN actions from a rule.
- To delete a rule, first select a rule from the Rules list
Click on the Delete icon to delete the rule
More on routing rules: