In the process of adding a mailbox to your Outpost account, you may encounter this error message:
Your email credentials are correct, but we cannot access one or more of the necessary email folders. Your Outpost mailbox can not be set up until this is fixed.
You would see this error message after you enter the login credentials for your Gmail/Gsuite or Office 365 email account.
Why is this happening?
In order to connect properly, Outpost needs to access these folders within your source email account:
- Sent or Sent Items
- All Mail or Archive
- Trash or Deleted items
The error message above indicates that one or more of these three folders is hidden from IMAP, which is the mail service we use to connect to your email and check for messages.
To correct the error, you'll need to update the permissions for these three folders. Once you've done that, our IMAP client will be able to access them.
Updating the folder permissions in Gmail
- Log into your Gmail account
- Go to the Google Settings, and click the tab for Forwarding and POP/IMAP.
- Scroll to the IMAP Access section. Make sure the Enable IMAP button is clicked.
- Click the Save Changes button
- Next, click on the Labels tab in your Settings.
- Make sure that the Show linked is clicked for: Inbox, Sent, and All Mail.
- Return to Outpost and try setting up the mailbox again.
Updating the permissions in Office 365 (Steps from this help article):
To fix this, users need to go to their IMAP Folder settings and make sure that the Inbox, Sent, Archive, SPAM and Trash folders are set to “Subscribe”
- In Mail, in the Navigation Pane, right-click the top folder for your IMAP account.
- Click IMAP Folders.
- Click Query.
- Click a folder, and then click Subscribe.
If you're still encountering issues after these steps, please contact us.