When launching Sales & Marketing Pro, you may encounter a generic Microsoft error that says:
Sales & Marketing Pro has encountered an error and needs to close. We apologize for any inconvenience. Would you like to send a report to Microsoft about this error?
In most cases, this indicates a problem with the .NET Framework. Re-installing the .NET Framework for Windows will resolve the problem:
Tip: Due to the way Windows protects the .NET Framework, it's often not possible to entirely clean up and fix .NET on the computer. If the user has access to another computer, it is often best for them to install and use the software on the other machine instead or while trying to fix their desired computer.
Remove the current .NET installation files show/hide steps
- Click the Windows Start menu, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
- Double-click on Add/Remove Programs.
- This list is alphabetized; scroll down to the Microsoft area.
- Select anything that starts with Microsoft .NET
- Click the Remove (or Change/Remove) button and follow the steps to remove that component.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 until all Microsoft .NET installations are removed from the computer.
- Close the Add/Remove Programs utility and Restart the computer.
Having problems with this step?
If you encounter an error when trying to remove the .NET components with the Add/Remove programs utility, take the following steps instead: show/hide steps
- Click the following link to download the .NET Clean-up Utility:
- When prompted, choose to Save this file to the Desktop of the computer.
- Once the download has completed, close any open programs and run thecleanup_tool.exe
- Accept the license agreement and then choose to clean up .NET Framework - All Versions
- Click the Cleanup Now button
- Once the Cleanup is complete, close the utility and then install the latest .NET Framework (see below)
Download the latest .NET Update from Microsoft.com show/hide steps
- Go to Microsoft's site at:http://www.microsoft.com/net/download
Windows XP, Windows 2000 SP4 and Windows Server 2003 install at least: .NET 2.0
Windows Vista install at least: .NET 3.5
- Click the Download button to download the dotnetfx.exe file.
- When prompted, choose to Save the file to the Desktop of your computer.
- Once the download has completed, run the dotnetfx*.exe file and follow the steps to install the .NET update.