When using any Palo Alto Software program, you may encounter an Internal Error 1931. Several system files are commonly named in this error:
This error indicates that during the installation of our software the Windows Installer was unable to update a specific Windows System file (normally msscript.ocx). The specific file can vary and is normally indicated in the error message itself.
The Windows Update utility, which is built into every copy of Windows, should be able to download and install the updates to resolve the most common sources of this error. Please take the steps below to run the Windows Update utility on your computer:
- Click the Start button for Windows.
- Choose Programs or All Programs from the Start Menu.
- Locate and select Windows Update from the "Programs" list. Windows Update is normally near the top of this list.
- Follow the steps provided by Microsoft within the Windows Update wizard to download and install the latest Critical Updates and Service Packs for your computer.
- Once all of the Critical Updates and Service Packs are installed, restart your computer and install your Palo Alto Software program.
If you've already installed the latest updates and continue to encounter the message, we will need to gather some additional information from your computer. Please take the steps in the Diagnostic Test article to collect this information for us.