If you aren't using QuickBooks Online, QuickBooks Desktop, or Xero, then you also have the option to enter your actuals into the Dashboard manually. You can use this feature either before or after you've created your Forecast.
Note: If you don't already have a forecast in place, you can enter your actuals as totals. If you've already created a forecast, you'll be able to enter your actuals in more detail.
Manually entering actuals:
- If this is your first visit to the Dashboard tab for a particular company, click the Get Started button to move past the initial video:
- In the overlay that appears, choose the Manual Entry option, and then click Continue:
- Click the Update Actual Results link below the Dashboard tab:
- The sidebar will list all the actuals you'll be entering: Revenue, Expenses, Direct Costs, Assets, and Liabilities. To begin, select Revenue:
- Click on the arrow next to the month to open the date selector. Choose the past month for which you want to enter actual revenue:
Note: You can enter actuals for up to two previous years, based on the month you've selected as the start of your forecast.
- You can enter actuals in one of two ways: either by individual revenue streams (which is available if you've created a forecast already), or as overall revenue. Click the toggle button for the option you prefer:
Note: When you choose Enter individual revenue streams, you'll see the same revenue forecast items that you've created in the Forecast tab. If you have not started the Forecast tab yet, you'll see a message directing you to start your forecast before making this entry. If you'd prefer not to begin your forecast yet, just use the Enter overall revenue only option.
- Your numbers will be saved automatically as you enter them. When you've finished entering actual revenue for the chosen month, click Expenses in the sidebar to move on to that category:
- Repeat Step 6 to enter your actual expenses, and then move on to the Direct Costs section and repeat the process again.
- In the Assets section, you'll be entering totals as of the end of the chosen month. Click each of the fields to display more specific instructions, as shown below. Your numbers will save automatically as you enter them:
- In the Liabilities section, you'll also be entering totals, and detailed instructions for each entry will display when you click the field, as shown below. Your actuals will save automatically as you enter them:
- Repeat steps 4-10 for each month of actuals that you wish to enter manually.