Note: The mapping interface is only accessible if you are connected to an accounting solution. Also, it's important to know that the account owner and any contributors who have access to the Dashboard can make changes to mapping.
The mapping interface lets you associate your Xero accounts with the corresponding accounts in the LivePlan forecast. Keep in mind that your past actuals data from Xero will appear only in the Dashboard tab of LivePlan. The Forecast represents future projections, so it is built separately. But if you haven't built your forecast yet, you can save some time by using your Xero accounts to create the categories for your forecast.
This video gives you some helpful tips for mapping, and you'll find detailed instructions below it:
Mapping Xero accounts
- Make sure that LivePlan is successfully connected to Xero.
- If you aren’t already on the mapping view, click the Mapping link under the Dashboard tab:
- On the mapping view, the account categories for mapping are listed in the sidebar of the page. Click the one you'd like to map first:
- Your Xero chart of accounts will be listed in the left-hand column under the Map this Xero account.
- Click the Choose a destination link next to the account you want to map:
- From the list box that appears, select the LivePlan account that you want to map to this Xero account:
Note: if you have not built a forecast yet, then you won't see any LivePlan accounts listed. Instead, you can create a new account from this menu. To see a video of this process in action, see Creating forecast categories as you map your actuals.
- Your selection will be applied immediately.
To change a mapping:
- Click dropdown next to the account whose mapping you want to edit.
- Make a new selection from the list. Your change will be applied immediately.
Notification of unmapped accounts
If you've already mapped your accounts, and then you add a new account to your Xero organization, when you update the data in LivePlan, the Dashboard overview will notify you that you have unmapped accounts:
Note: LivePlan will also notify you with this banner if you started the mapping process but didn't complete it.
There are two options to choose from here:
- If you want to review the accounts that are unmapped, click review and map them now.
- If you want to set all of the unmapped accounts to Ignore, click ignore all currently unmapped accounts.
When you go to the mapping interface to review your unmapped accounts, another banner will appear. Here you have another opportunity to set all of your unmapped accounts to Ignore:
The side tab for each category containing unmapped accounts will show a red asterisk next to it:
Once you map any unmapped accounts to the appropriate LivePlan data, the banner will be dismissed and the sidebar will return to normal.
Adding revenue streams, direct costs, or expenses during mapping
While you are mapping your accounts, you may discover that a revenue stream or expense exists in your Xero chart of accounts that doesn't exist in your LivePlan forecast yet. This is no problem. You can add the revenue stream or expense from the mapping screen instead. However, don't forget that you will need to go back into your Forecast tab later and enter the data for that added revenue stream or expense.
To add a revenue stream, direct costs, or expense from the mapping view:
- Next to the Xero account that you want to map to the new revenue stream or expense, click Choose a destination.
- From the list box, choose Add new revenue stream (or Add new expense, if you are on the Expenses tab):
- In the overlay that appears, enter a name for the new revenue stream or expense:
- Click Add.
- The newly added revenue stream or expense will be automatically mapped to the desired QuickBooks Online account.
- Remember to go back into your Forecast tab to enter the data for the newly-added revenue stream or expense.