Note: The mapping interface is only accessible if you are connected to an accounting solution. Also, it's important to know that the account owner and any contributors who have access to the Dashboard can make changes to the account mapping.
The mapping interface lets you associate your QuickBooks accounts with the corresponding accounts in the LivePlan forecast. Keep in mind that your past actuals data from QuickBooks will appear only in the Dashboard tab of LivePlan. The Forecast represents future projections, so it is built separately. But if you haven't built your forecast yet, you can save some time by using your QuickBooks accounts to create the categories for your forecast.
This video gives you some helpful tips for mapping, and you'll find detailed instructions below it:
Mapping QuickBooks Online accounts
- Make sure you are successfully connected to QuickBooks Online.
- Under the Dashboard tab, click the Mapping link:
- On the mapping view, the account categories for mapping are listed in the sidebar of the page. Click the one you'd like to map first:
- Your QuickBooks Online chart of accounts will be listed in the left-hand column under the Map this QuickBooks account. The parent/child relationships of your accounts are illustrated with appropriate levels of indentation.
- Click the Choose a destination link next to the account you want to map:
- From the list box that appears, select the LivePlan account that you want to map to this QuickBooks account:
Note: When you map a parent account in QuickBooks Online to a LivePlan category, all of the children under it will automatically be mapped to the same category. If you wish them to be mapped differently, you can always go back and edit the mapping of individual child accounts.
Note: if you have not built a forecast yet, then you won't see any LivePlan accounts listed. Instead, you can create a new account from this menu. To see a video of this process in action, see Creating forecast categories as you map your actuals.
- Your selection will be applied immediately.
To change a mapping:
- Click list box next to the account whose mapping you want to edit:
- Make a new selection from the list box. Your change will be applied immediately.
Notification of unmapped accounts
If you've already mapped your accounts, and then you add a new account to your QuickBooks company file, LivePlan will notify you with a banner that you have unmapped accounts:
Note: LivePlan will also notify you with this banner if you started the mapping process but didn't complete it.
There are two options to choose from here:
- If you want to review the accounts that are unmapped, click review and map them now.
- If you want to set all of the unmapped accounts to Ignore, click ignore all currently unmapped accounts.
When you go to the mapping interface to review your unmapped accounts, you will see all unmapped accounts displaying in red. Map these to an account, or to Ignore:
Once you map any unmapped accounts to the appropriate LivePlan data, the banner will be dismissed and the sidebar will return to normal.
Adding revenue streams, expenses, or direct costs during mapping
While you are mapping your accounts, you may discover that a revenue stream, expense, or cost in your QuickBooks Online accounts doesn't exist in your forecast yet. This is no problem. You can add the revenue stream or expense from the mapping screen instead. However, don't forget that you will need to go back into your Forecast tab later and enter the data for that added added revenue stream or expense.
To add a revenue stream, direct cost, or expense during mapping:
- Next to the QuickBooks Online account that you want to map to the new revenue stream or expense, click Choose a destination:
- From the list box, choose Add new revenue stream... (or expense, if you are in the Expenses section):
- In the overlay that appears, enter a name for the new revenue stream or expense:
- Click Add.
- The newly added revenue stream or expense will be automatically mapped to the desired Quickbooks Online account.
- Remember to go back into your Forecast tab to enter the data for the newly-added revenue stream or expense.